it's not a mommy blog...

~





I am taking a break this week from "Wordless Wednesday" to try something new. The other day I realized that this blog was quickly becoming a "mommy blog" which is not a bad thing if that had been my original intention. It's not...


It is easy for me to find inspiration and story there. To recap a day or take a beautiful picture. It is comfortable and safe. Of course, any of you who know the REAL me, the dreamer, the traveler, the risk taker, know that "Comfortable and Safe" have never been aspirations of mine.


So, what is my intention for this blog? I want it to be a place that reminds me of where I have been and where I am going. A space to file inspiration. Time carved out to recreate the things I miss about myself. Things like this...




One of the most vivid memories of my childhood is of this little church in Eden, Wyoming on a Sunday morning when my Daddy was the fill in pastor. We would get up at the crack of dawn and drive snowy roads so that he could open it up and get ready for the days services. The smell of the damp logs and dirt, the old hymnals and the hard wooden pews. And it was drafty... I can't decide which part of the memory I love most, the feeling that we were being transported right into the pioneer days or the ice cream in Farson Mercantile afterward... these days inspired my faith in God in such a simple and profound way that I have never stopped pursuing Him.

I have always loved the mountains. I am pretty sure this love was not present at birth because I was born in the Arizona desert. It grew over time...but one particular summer is etched in my mind. Daddy worked in a coal mine and his schedule was insane. Day shift, night shift, swing shift... for 20+ years, whatever The Man asked my Dad to do, he pretty much did. And he NEVER took a sick day, EVER. My Mama stayed home so whenever my Dad's "weekend" was we would head to the mountains to go camping.
Our favorite place was Bondurant, Wyoming and this is a picture of our mountains. We camped for the entire summer it seemed, coming home only long enough for my Mama to do laundry, grocery shop, and pack it all up again. I think back on all the hikes and early morning fishing just me and my Dad. Coming back to camp where my sister and my Mom were fixing breakfast (biscuts and gravy or corned beef hash) and it is no wonder that I live in Montana and my sister is one of the best cooks on the planet. I want this for my family too. I want the adventure and the smell of a fresh caught fish cooking on the fire. And I think we are off to a good start!















3 comments:

madame artsy said...

Amy: The comment you left on my site brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the kind words of support and belief that it's possible to live your dream even when all the signs (and nay sayers) are pointing the other direction! I'm so heartened when I find a like minded soul, they are rare I think. I will check back in on you too and see where your path takes you. And you have two beautiful children! * Kristin

Angela said...

I can tell you have been reading little house on the prairie. Your blog rings of it. That is one of my all time favorite series, so I resonate. I love you friend and I am glad that God is giving you the chance to relive some moments in memory and recreate some with your very own brood. Love you!

Angela said...

P.S. If you want real life inspiration from one of my theater buddies in college turned mom, check out the sight below and read her latest blog. You will freak!

http://thetobyshow.typepad.com/the_toby_show/

About Me

My photo
I am a working mom who is learning all about Grace... living simply, giving freely, without judgement of myself or others. After spending 10 years in the city I have finally found the balance I crave here in this one stop light town... who knew?